News

News Former kickboxer Andrew Tate says Romanian prosecutors have no evidence against him

BUCHAREST, Jan 25 (Reuters) – Controversial internet personality Andrew Tate said on Wednesday there was no justice in Romania and the case file against him in a criminal investigation into human trafficking and rape is empty .

Tate, his brother Tristan and the two Romanian female suspects have been in police custody since Dec. 29 pending an ongoing criminal investigation into forming a criminal group to sexually exploit women, charges they deny.

On Thursday, a Romanian court extended their detention until February 27. Prosecutors said the Tate brothers recruited their victims by seducing them and falsely claiming to want a relationship or marriage.

Prosecutors said the victims were then taken to properties on the outskirts of the capital Bucharest and, through physical violence and mental intimidation, sexually exploited by being forced to produce pornography for social media sites that generated substantial financial gain.

They also said that Andrew Tate, a former professional kickboxing athlete with U.S. and British nationalities, raped one of the victims last March, a claim he denied.

“They know we have done nothing wrong,” Tate told reporters during further questioning by anti-organized crime prosecutors, his first comments to the media since his arrest. “The document is completely empty. This is of course unjust and unfortunately there is no justice in Romania.”

Asked if he had ever hurt a woman, Tate said: “Of course not.”

Earlier this month, Romanian authorities said they confiscated goods and money worth 18 million lei ($3.99 million), including luxury cars and real estate, as part of an investigation.

“There is no evidence against me,” Tristan Tate told reporters on Wednesday. “The authorities are planning to steal my car, steal my money. That’s why I’m in jail.”

Prosecutors said the seizure was to prevent assets from being hidden.

The Taitzes were “confident in their defence, they were confident in the evidence in their favor, they made a detailed statement, they cooperated (with the authorities),” their attorney, Eugen Vidineac, said in a statement. After being questioned, he told reporters.

“We believe defenses are starting to form.”

Andrew Tate’s notoriety for making misogynistic comments has gotten him banned from all major social media platforms, despite his Twitter account following Elon Musk’s takeover of the social media network It resumed in November.

Reporting by Luiza Ilie and Octav Ganea; Editing by Nick Macfie and Daniel Wallis

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button